Karen
I don't think they will reply me as I think the questions I've posed may have put them on the line. Perhaps no reply is a reply. I have already received some very good replies off from other professionals. They gave some very interesting views. They probably give better and honest answers to human factors in a way that they come from the users point of view. And it does confirm that some of the PC design need some good revamp. Like what I have earlier envisaged, most consumers agree with me of the physical attributes of the machine. Some people would have liked more choice of colours and motifs and see that as a value-added trait. BUT they want the power of the machine over aesthetics. Many think that buying a PC, from a household
point of view, is a waste of money; as the value of PC decreases very quickly in just a matter of months. Updating OS and software is an expensive chore too. If we need to keep our environment sane, we should really look at the way we use and throw computers away every few years. That is a waste.

I personally find that the Ethnographic design appears to be lacking on PCs. Perhaps its a common use of technology globally but the keyboards is definitely sensitive to cultural usage. Though there are improvements, the keyboard doesn't make typing Mandarin easy especially if you are an advanced learner. The style of PCs in notebooks/net books pin heavily on the western culture. True on the aspect on the keyboard layout design. Physical comfort is lacking too.

Favorable PCs ?

At local schools, the Ministry of Education here subsidies Notebook PC purchases at around 40% on selected high end HP notebooks for students. I personally like HP for the price and value though some accused that HP lacks originality. It is true to a certain extent. I had been eying for one but all the stocks were totally bought up even at full price. There was also a long back log of orders even without the subsidized purchase. Net books were hot sellers across the brands probably because the differentiation between brands on net books are hardly noticeable regardless how you look at it in terms of price and quality. They are light, inexpensive and they serve the primary function very well.

What seems to be interesting to me is that not a lot of people seem to be bothered about vision health as much as I do. Staring at the screen is to me a very unhealthy habit. Yet no one seems to be bothered about glare, radiation and static electricity from the use of computers. That to me was a little shocking.
Bookmark and Share
0 Responses

Post a Comment